The Western Harbour
Frans Suell was the first to begin building the harbour in 1775. Before this the area consisted mainly of jetties stretching out into the shallow Öresund channel between Sweden and Denmark. In 1873 the first steamship was built in Kockums shipyard. The manufacturing industry was located at Davidshalls square up until 1909. |
In 1939 Kockums launched the world's first entirely welded ocean liner.
In the early 60's there were still 6000 employees at Kockums shipyard.
At the end of the 80's SAAB built a factory in the Western Harbour, but after 200 cars the factory was closed down.
The SAAB factory was converted into Malmö Exhibition Hall and then into offices. In 2005 supermarket chain ICA Maxi moved in, becoming the first supermarket in the Western Harbour.
2001 was the year of Bo01 - a large property exhibition in the Western Harbour that became the starting point for the construction of residential properties in the area.
Salt & Brygga, the first restaurant in the Western Harbour, opened May 17 2001.